Sunday 2 May 2010

getting through the scrap pile

I lost my scrapping mojo for quite a while after my daughter was born, and only regained it last November when she was a year and a half, and I was taking part in blogging for scrapbookers. So I've still got a lot of photos to scrap from that time, especially as it included getting married and moving house, as well as the many little girl photos!

Here's a couple of layouts I've just finished from that pile of pics. The first is a layout about the house we lived in when my daughter was born, though she won't remember it as she was only 5 months old when we moved! I wanted to make sure it was captured as part of her history:


I scraplifted the page from the new pull-out challenges section from Scrapbook Magazine - mine's based on Rachael Elliott's 'Spring' layout from issue 45. Her's was a page about spring, so I obviously adapted it a bit, but I have the same sketch and a few details like the dictionary definition of the title, and the little butterfly on the chipboard element.


I love this quaint puffy tree sticker from paperchase:


It took me a while to decide on a title for the page, as it felt wierd calling it 'home' when we haven't lived there for a year and a half, but 'baby's 1st home' made it too fiddly. In the end I decided I'll try to document all the houses we've lived in and will live in, giving them all the title 'home'.


(Stash= metallic cardstock: DCWV, lilac cardstock: PMA; patterned papers: 'best friends' collection Scrapbook Magazine freebie, 'disney princess paper pad' Sandylion, 'wild raspberry pink paisley' K&Co, 'a little bird's tale - houses' Heidi Grace; Journalling spot: 'best friends' collection SM; adhesive stones: PMA; chipboard padlock: Dovecraft; butterfly sticker: DoCrafts; tree sticker: Paperchase; letter stickers: PMA; dictionary definition of home, lilac flower, green ink pad, craft knife, journalling pen: from stash.)

The second layout is of a photo from a month later, on the day she was 6 months old. I was thinking I'd get a nice photo of the three of us on all her birthdays, and 6 months old seemed like a milestone to start it off. Then she was ill on her 1st birthday, and hubby was working on her 2nd, so while there are lots of pics of her, there are few of us with her. Never mind! Sometimes we just have to give up on certain ideas as lost causes don't we?


This is scraplifted from Laura's 'happiness is' layout, which she made as part of Shimelle's crop party, and then Shimelle, SJ and Leanne scraplifted it to suprise her. I decided I wanted to join in because all their layouts were so great! (You can see Laura's post about it here.)

I got several lace doileys at a local jumble sale - for 5p each! I really like how they look on layouts, though they can be a bit tricky to stick on (I use a combo of stapling and a glue pen):



(Stash = patterned papers: 'lilac dragonfly' and 'green fall' PMA, 'wild raspberry pink paisley' K&Co, 'nana's nursery' DCWV; scalloped cardstock: PMA; Letters/numbers: PMA; stamps: Studio G; eyelet: WRM; ribbon: Anita's; adhesive stones: PMA; brads: PMA and Karen Foster; card flower detail: 'retro floral' PMA; raffia, fabric flower, lace doiley, bunny rabbit sticker: from stash.)

I'm getting into using sketches / scraplifts to start a layout, it really helps to speed up my scrapping process so I get more done! I'm now scouring the web to pick some challenge blogs to follow, so far the only sketch site I've decided on is Twisted Sketches. Anyone got any favourites they can recommend?

My final craft activity of the week was making a card for my nephew's 18th. I wasn't sure how to start it as I don't really know what he likes, except for X-Boxes (of which I have no stash!), so I just tried to pick some boyish colours. It ended up quite glittery though, hope he doesn't mind:


I'm also halfway through making a papermache piggy bank with my daughter, but that's another story...

See you soon!
x

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great layouts and your laura lift is fabby!!! Xx

Laura said...

I love your laura lift! It's a gorgeous layout, that lace spiky is lush (and a serious bargain!) I'm going to have to start checking out the car boot sales for goodies like that! (though not this morning as it is chucking it down with rain!)

your home layout is lovely too, I really like the dots on the thickers, that looks great. I also love that photo of all three of you outside your front door! So cute!

As for sketch sites..., twisted sisters is a good one, also check out pencil lines for loads of sketches, they have archives for years! So plently of inspiration to start you off!

Denise said...

Lovely layouts - your laura lift is great x

Sian said...

I can't wait to see the papier mache piggy bank (we made eggs last easter and it took ages!) I see you've been creating with a red brick house in mind too. Lovely!

Curlywiggles said...

Hi Jennifer, sorry I'm only just replying to your comment on my blog, it's been a crazy time what with NSD :) I Love your layouts! And that's a lovely picture of the three of you on that first one. I love starting with sketches too. Pagemaps is another good one to check out, I really like Pencil Lines too.

debs14 said...

How lovely to see these pages of your little girl growing up. Plenty of photo opportunities for you as she gets older!
Re your comment on my blog, the papers were all American Crafts the birds were Letterbox and the rest were Dear Lizzy and they were ALL fab!

Clair said...

Oooh, I too am in love with Paperchase stickers. Some beautiful stuff in there.

Loving the home layout very much. I really must do something similar to celebrate my little house!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...